Re: hearbeat

From: SorinS
Subject: Re: hearbeat
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:57:44 +0000

Hi Daniel,
Of course I can do it with a script, and your script is very nicely
written.
I can do _whatever_ monit does using scripts and standard unix
utilities. But when you think about lots of machines running Linux,
Solaris, HPUX, etc - these scripts might turn into a nightmare to
maintain, version, upgrade, etc.
That is where monit rocks - you have a single executable plus a config.
There cannot be anything simpler than that. No crons, no scripts with
binary dependencies, a single log file (not multiple log files with
locking, etc), fantastic.
So if it can do heartbeating, it would be even better.
If we can have a more flexible framework for logging (e.g. log4c) and
alerting (mail/write_to_files/snmp/xmpp/etc) so we can integrate it with
other software it would be superb.
Thanks,
Sorin