how to stop monitoring a service when you stop it manually

From: Mike Pepe
Subject: how to stop monitoring a service when you stop it manually
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 00:07:32 -0400

Hi all,

I've just got monit up and running on my fedora core 3 system. So far it seems to be running just fine.

I wanted to make sure that monit won't start a service that's been manually shutdown. Services that have been stopped manually/cleanly would be missing their lockfile. So I added a dependency such that if the lockfile is missing, the service should be unmonitored. such as this:

check process freshclam with pidfile /var/run/clamav/freshclam.pid
   group freshclam
   start program = "/etc/init.d/freshclam start"
   stop  program = "/etc/init.d/freshclam stop"
   if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
   depends on freshclam_lock
   depends on clamd

check file freshclam_lock with path /var/lock/subsys/freshclam
   group freshclam
   if failed uid root then unmonitor
   if failed gid root then unmonitor

but, it doesn't do what I expect.

Sorry about the n00b question, but what am I doing wrong? I'm assuming that if the file is missing that the gid/uid check will fail- perhaps there's a better way to do that too.

Thanks

-Mike