Re: Time of Day exclusion?

From: lists lists
Subject: Re: Time of Day exclusion?
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:18:56 -0400

Hi, maybe I missed part of the conversation or something here, but why
would not using the httpd remove the monitor/unmonitor options? Those
are/can be command-line driven, correct?

monit unmonitor [service name]
monit monitor [service name]

couldn't you go a step further and even create a service that monitors
without alert or with a new processor threshold? , and turn the first
one off, and then the second one(non-alert) on during the backup?

>>> address@hidden 04/20/06 11:29AM >>>
> I think if it was me, I'd just modify the backup script to make the
> appropriate 'monit unmonitor' call before it starts, and 'monit
> when it finishes.  (Or, if you don't necessarily trust the backup
> to always finish cleanly, just add cron jobs for 11:59pm and 12:04am
> do the same.)

I've always wanted time-based exclusion capabilities as well.  I'm not
too keen on running the monit httpd daemon -- I try to limit the
of port-based services running on my systems.  That removes
as options for me.

What I've ended up doing is modifying my monitrc file via cron to
out the appropriate section(s) using chgrep, like

   chgrep 'INCLUDE "/etc/monit/ntpd.monitrc"' '#INCLUDE
"/etc/monit/ntpd.monitrc"' /etc/monit/monitrc ; killall monit

Note that I run monit out of init, so the killall essentially restarts

chgrep is a great tool.  If you don't have it, you can find it at

To unsubscribe: