Re: custom mysql monitoring

From: Mike Jackson
Subject: Re: custom mysql monitoring
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:11:32 -0700

Yup, my predecessor configured monit to hit PHP scripts he wrote to
essentially do MySQL testing.  However, I feel like this solution is a bit
of a hack.  Why should I have to utilize the web server in order to
monitor my MySQL database?  It's just adding complexity.

Well, it does accomplish several things at once - you're testing the web server, its ability to run scripts, and MySQL, all in one test. While they may not all need to be restarted if one of them goes down, in most cases it doesn't hurt.