Re: set up monin and mydns dns-server

From: Samuel Vogel
Subject: Re: set up monin and mydns dns-server
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:47:23 +0200

I would be very pleased if somebody would take over this task :)

monit user schrieb:
Many (most?) non-bind DNS server software will fail the dns protocol test in monit as it is written (dbjdns, mydns and a couple others that I tested so far), AFAIK because bind includes a "default" referral response to a query about the root servers. Even the great and powerful Paul Vixie admitted that this is something that most servers shouldn't be doing and others pointed out non-broken client resolver libraries will reject/throw out such a response.

The relationship between BIND and some of the DNS RFCs act a good example of why it sucks to take a certain application's behavior and codify it as a set of standards, as we are currently experiencing with OOXML.

To work across all DNS servers, the test should have the following options:

Protocol: UDP or TCP
Query Type: A, NS, etc
and if you care about the exact value of the response rather than the fact that there was or was not a response from the server an "expect" or "checksum" section for checking the response.

Can this go on the list?
or how do things get on the list?

How many hours do you think it would take to add a parameterized dns test?