Re: set mailserver to POP

From: Alfredo Deza
Subject: Re: set mailserver to POP
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 19:04:28 -0400

On 9/5/07, Alfredo Deza <address@hidden> wrote:

On 9/5/07, Jan-Henrik Haukeland < address@hidden> wrote:
On 5. sep. 2007, at 14.17, Alfredo Deza wrote:

> Thanks a lot for giving us some news about the release and the
> current development of monit. Do you have any approximate dates for
> the 4.10 release?

Why don't you download the monit 4.10 beta and help us out and test
it? It supports SMTP authentication [1].  There are no known issues
with the beta. You can find it here,

[1] Thanks to patch contributed by Thomas Lohm├╝eller

To unsubscribe:

Wow, what a mess I just made.

I installed the RPM package from Dag Wieers repository. I am using CentOS 4.1 and everything was fine. So to install the BETA version I removed Dag's package by doing:

rpm -e monit

Which uninstalled monit.

Then I did a wget of the source (4.10 beta) , compiled and installed. But it seems monit wasnt working well, it didnt have a pid file and couldnt recognize the services.I couldnt even do /etc/init.d/monit start

So I went ahead to uninstall monit and within the 4.10 directory did:

make uninstall

Went ahead and reinstalled the RPM package and now I have my monit pid file but with a broken monit:

-bash: /usr/local/bin/monit/: no such file or directory

I still have the configuration file and I can do:

/etc/init.d/monit start
/etc/init.d/monit restart
/etc/init.d/monit stop

But it does nothing, no web interface, no nothing.

Could you guys PLEASE help me get this working again? I just need to have this as stable as possible (why did I tried to get 4.10???).

So, to make this plea short:

1.- Need to get a complete uninstall/removal of monit
2.- Then a fresh install of monit 4.9 with the RPM package

Hopefully I will have this working in no time.

Thanks again so much for your patience and help,

Alfredo Deza

Ok, just an update (sorry for the spam)

Since bash couldnt find monit I did wget monit-4.9 compiled it and copied monit to /usr/local/bin/monit/

So that fixed that problem and now I have monit running.

Monit doesnt start/stop/restart correctly (although I see OK when I try) when doing /etc/init.d/

It just starts by:

monit -v

And it shows that monit doesnt have a PID file at /var/run/

Any ideas to this whole mess I created?

Alfredo Deza