Re: PGSQL logfile errors

From: Tatsuya Nonogaki
Subject: Re: PGSQL logfile errors
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:56:07 +0900

I suspect monit is actually using pgsql test. Bellow are would-be list
of possibility.

* Are TEST type names case insensitive and `port' optional? Try this (I
am not sure...)

if failed port 5432 protocol pgsql
then ...

* PGSQL TEST was written for front-end protocol version 3.0 which had
been implemented since PostgreSQL 7.4. If you are using pre-7.4
PostgreSQL server, the TEST may not work properly.

* Does your PostgreSQL allow root to connect to `root' DB you have
created? Ensure pg_hba.conf has something like;

host   root  root  trust
local  root  root                ident sameuser

(Note that this pg_hba.conf format is based on PostgreSQL 8.x. It varies
on 7.4.x)
The second line is needed for pgsql TEST through UNIX Socket and
unnecessarry for TCP. But I personally recommend using UNIX Socket
unless you REALLY need to examine PostgreSQL availability through TCP.
In that case, monit definition should be;

if failed unixsocket /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 protocol pgsql
then ...

Best regards.
Tatsuya Nonogaki