Re: [monit] Alerts and HELO/MessageID hostname issue

From: Scott Silva
Subject: Re: [monit] Alerts and HELO/MessageID hostname issue
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:12:28 -0800

on 2/1/2008 12:41 PM Athan Dimoy spake the following:
Scott Silva <ssilva <at>> writes:

Your hostname is not a FQDN. You shouldn't use your domain name as the complete hostname. A FQDN needs a machine name in addition to the domain
So your machine could just be named also.

I know that Scott, however the specific machine cannot be renamed to anything else (company policy). Also, Postfix which is run on the same server, works just fine configured to use as hostname ( has a valid A record pointing to same IP).

All other server apps (eg PHP, mailx, system alerts etc) use system's sendmail and have no problem using for both HELO/EHLO and message ID.

If monit was able to send alerts using system's sendmail, it would work too.
Anyway in its current form, I think that is easier to implement a "hostname" configurable option.

Sounds like some of the company "policies" here. Many make no sense, or are written by people who have no clue how things work, or any thing resembling a real standard. I would bring up to whoever maintains policy (human resources?) that is an incorrect policy, and I believe it violates rfc's. It could cause you problems with other software in the future.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!