Re: [monit] Can Monit do this..

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [monit] Can Monit do this..
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 21:42:41 +0200

On 1. aug.. 2008, at 03.34, Ryan Nichols wrote:

I have an application that does not reset its own TCP ports. Can i set Monit up to monitor that port and if no traffic after a certain amount of time, reset the application service?

If by 'application that does not reset its own TCP ports' mean an application that does not properly close it's port so that the port is open after the application is closed. I suggest the following, if you can, try to fix the application - the trick is to set the SO_REUSEADDR option on the bind/listen socket using setsockopt. If you can't fix the application, try to send data to the port and check the return value using monit send/expect.