[monit] Monit and Upstart: do they get along?

From: Chad Albers
Subject: [monit] Monit and Upstart: do they get along?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:16:21 -0400

Hi,

We're switching over all our servers to ubuntu, which runs upstart to
manage daemons rather than /sbin/init.  We are also using monit.  I've
looked through the mailing list archive and didn't see really any
traffic about how well upstart and monit get along.

 I've gathered two things, though.
- upstart can handle starting, stopping, restarting monit
- and from monit's FAQ, other critical services that monit monitors
should be managing by monit itself, disabling how init (and by
association, upstart) handle critical services.

Are these conclusions correct?  Are there any other considerations
that we should be aware of between upstart and monit?  And if anyone
has experience with both upstart and monit, we would be happy to hear
them.

Thanks,

Chad A.