Re: [monit] Monit fails to start process occasionally

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit fails to start process occasionally
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:21:37 +0200

What is the monit version?
What is the monit configuration?
Can you run monit with the -v option and provide the log output for the failed restart attempt?

Thanks,
Martin

On Sep 19, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Arut Selvan wrote:

Hi All,

Monit fails to start a process that it is monitoring sometimes ( 2 out of 10 times)
The process is killed manually (e.g. pkill -9 xyz)

The pid file of the process that died is still intact but monit doesn't start the process.
The monit.log says: monit: Warning process 'xyz' was not started after 5 secs.

Changing the mode to active resolved the issue, but I have been told to identify the root cause.

I have already tried using strace as per monit FAQ. That resulted in a zombie process.
If I don't use strace, zombie is not created.Please guide me in resolving the issue.

I fail to understand why this problem happens once in a while.
What would prevent monit from starting a process? Appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks,
Arut

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!