Re: [monit] odd / even cycles

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] odd / even cycles
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 22:43:04 +0200

i think the problem could be solved in wrapper script - the services can be put to group (for example "mygroup") and before restart unmonitor both services in monit like this:

script snippet:
# disable monitoring before restart:
/usr/bin/monit -g mygroup unmonitor

<perform restart here>

#enable monitoring after restart:
/usr/bin/monit -g mygroup monitor

Eric Pailleau wrote:
Dear Martin,

I got some problems when monitoring two independant processes (two pid files)
that are working together, because a single start script is used.
But one process must start before the other.

I can't monitor only one and when a process fails , it restarts both with same start script.

I could imagine to exit when a start script is already running, but
I can't modify the start script that comes from external packages : I will loose my modifications.

So I solved the problem by creating a wrapper script under distribution start script but I wonder if the idea to allow monitoring on odd cycles or even cycles could be usefull sometimes...

Actually we can only use :

check process1 ....
    every 2 cycles

check process2 ....
    every 2 cycles

my idea is to allow a monit alternatively on a process and another :

check process1 ....
    every odd cycles

check process2 ....
    every even cycles