[monit] monit not honoring ulimit -a setting

From: Mike Oliveras
Subject: [monit] monit not honoring ulimit -a setting
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:33:51 -0400

I have a SIP application that requires a lot of UDP ports, so the nofile parameter was increased in the limits.conf file.  My Machine is running Centos 5.4.  I am running monit 5.1.1 from inittab as follows:

# Run monit in standard run-levels
mo:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/monit -Ic /etc/monitrc
moff:06:wait:/usr/bin/monit -Ic /etc/monitrc stop all

My monit.rc file starts up the program as another user.

# Test SBC
check process testsbc with pidfile /home/test/sbc/data/testsbc.pid
    start program = "/etc/init.d/testsbc start"
         as uid testsbc and gid testsbc
    stop  program = "/etc/init.d/testsbc stop"
         as uid testsbc and gid testsbc

When monit tries to start testsbc, it fails with errorno=24 (too many files open).

If I run the init script directly as the "testsbc" user then it runs without issue.

If I execute ulimit -n from either the root or testsbc user, it does correctly display the nofiles as my increased limit.
address@hidden sbc]# ulimit -n
65535
address@hidden sbc]#
address@hidden sbc]# su - factor
address@hidden ~]$ ulimit -n
65535

Anyone experience this before?  I was going to open a bug report but wanted to check first if I was just missing some configuration or something.

Thanks,

Mike