[monit] Monit and Apache-restart

From: Kai Behncke
Subject: [monit] Monit and Apache-restart
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 09:27:42 +0200

Dear users,

I use monit at my server. The problem is, that nearly 7-8 times a day (or more)
my Apache is shut down now and restarted.
E.g. I get a mail from monit like:

Resource limit matched Service apache2

    Date:        Fri, 04 Jun 2010 10:51:09 +0200
    Action:      restart
    Host:        h1765421
[total mem amount>204800kB]

Your faithful employee,
monit

------------------------------------
That entry I have in my monit-config:

  check process apache2 with pidfile /var/run/apache2.pid
    start program = "/etc/init.d/apache2 start"
    stop program  = "/etc/init.d/apache2 stop"
    if cpu > 60% for 2 cycles then alert
    if cpu > 80% for 5 cycles then restart
    if totalmem > 200.0 MB for 5 cycles then restart
    if children > 250 then restart
#    if loadavg(5min) greater than 10 for 8 cycles then stop
    if failed host www.tourismus-maps.de port 80 protocol http
    then restart

Is    "if totalmem > 200.0 MB for 5 cycles then restart" maybe not the right
entry in the config, should I better use someting like
> 500.0 MB ??
Or might it be more a Apache/Server problem?

Thank you very much and best regards, Kai