Monitoring the wrong thing?

From: Marc Pinnell
Subject: Monitoring the wrong thing?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 12:30:52 -0700

Finally got Monit going this am on my webserver (daemon, 2 min interval). Since
then I am getting a couple of warnings an hour about high CPU loads. I am
monitoring the wrong thing (I don't totally understand the UNIX terminology
about loads)? Here is my config:

  check system 1027mail
    if loadavg (1min) > 4 then alert
    if loadavg (5min) > 2 then alert
    if memory usage > 75% then alert
    if cpu usage (user) > 70% for 2 cycles then alert
    if cpu usage (system) > 30% for 2 cycles then alert

and a warning I just received:

Begin forwarded message:

> Resource limit matched Service 1027mail
>
>       Date:        Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:24:13 -0400
>       Action:      alert
>       Host:        1027mail
> usage>70.0%]

and then two minutes later:

Resource limit succeeded Service 1027mail