hierarchical network monitoring

From: Kamenik, Aleksander
Subject: hierarchical network monitoring
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:16:48 +0100

Hi,

I was wondering if one could setup monit to ignore failed hosts (and/or
services) that are behind a failed router.

For example: http://pastebin.com/S2vF0g5Z

If switch0 goes dead, I don't want the alerts for node0-2. If fw0 fails, I
don't want the alerts for all the stuff behind it. Though it would be nice it
would mention in the alert for the failed network device that there are N
devices behind it that are probably unreachable now. Assuming no redundant
route.

Point being, I don't want 10 SMS messages when one is enough.

Is it possible create something like this using groups?

Regards,

Aleksander Kamenik
System Administrator
Krediidiinfo AS