Re: Can you check program output? (to monitor CUPS printers)

From: Adam Nielsen
Subject: Re: Can you check program output? (to monitor CUPS printers)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 10:21:13 +1000

Sorry, forgot to post a followup on this!

Occasionally we get a print job which makes CUPS break, and it takes
the
printer offline until the job is deleted and an admin logs in and
restarts the queue.  I would like monit to keep an eye on this and when
it happens, clear the print queue and restart the printer
automatically.

I do this without monit. Run a script from cron every x minutes. If it detects
an offline printer, it restarts cups and only then generates output/sends an
email.

Thanks for the suggestion, this works well. For reference, this is the script I run from cron every couple of minutes:

#!/bin/sh

PRINTERS=`/usr/bin/lpstat -a | cut -d ' ' -f 1`

for I in $PRINTERS; do
        if /usr/bin/lpstat -p $I | grep -q disabled; then
                /usr/sbin/cupsenable -c $I
                echo "Re-enabled CUPS print queue $I"
        fi
done

The 'echo' makes cron send the e-mail whenever a print queue had to be restarted.

Cheers,
Adam.