Best practices for choosing monitoring conditions

From: Jacob Share
Subject: Best practices for choosing monitoring conditions
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:12:26 +0200

Hi
I recently started using monit to watch my EC2 instances. I researched recommendations for the different servers I'm running such as nginx and mysql and I'd like to figure out what are the most appropriate conditions I should be checking for in my server context.

The examples I found e.g. for nginx mention comparing values for totalmem/children/loadavg/inodes and more, but I couldn't find any documentation anywhere with guidelines on how to calculate sensible values to compare against in a given server context.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Jacob

--
Jacob Share
Job Search Expert & Professional Blogging Consultant

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/jacobshare