Re: alert only when process exists

From: Eric PAILLEAU
Subject: Re: alert only when process exists
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 09:09:50 +0200

Le 05/04/2012 21:43, Luis Londono a écrit :
I am wondering if I can receive an alert when a process or a unix socket appears.  I can't figure out how to get an alert when the process appears.  I know this is a strange requirement but we can't figure out why a certain process gets started.  While we debug I would like to be alerted so I can kill it when it happens.  Any ideas how I would do this check?

Everything I tried alerts only when the process ends.  I know it is not right but conceptually it would be something like

      check process matching "/usr/local/bin/numSeriesAnalysisd"
              alert address@hidden only on { exist }

Regards.

Hello,
you can use inotify tools and write a log monitored by monit with a match content.
you will then have a mail with the path of the socket.

Have a look to  inotify shell utilities.
Require a not too old kernel on Linux, 2.6. ??? I don't remember.

I guess it is the reason why inotify is not used in monit : it is not available on all Unices .

Regards.