Re: [Monotone-devel] importing

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] importing
Date: 05 Sep 2003 21:09:38 -0400

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> I notice that monotone scan and monotone import are gone.  That's
> nice!

yeah, they seemed a bit unwieldy, and there's already a *lot* of
commands. unfortunately I just noticed that "monotone add" doesn't
like the pathname "." (it's not considered a safe path), so that needs
to be fixed.

> fleche. monotone commit 'imported classpath'
> misuse: no branch certs found for old manifest
> da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709, please provide a branch
> name
>
> **** error return code 1
> **********  errors detected; see standard output for details  ***********
>

> I don't know how to interpret this.  What is the old manifest?  There
> was nothing in the repository yet.

indeed, that's a crappy error message. the "old" manifest here is the
empty manifest -- the one before your add -- which happens to have
that SHA1 value (sha1sum </dev/nul). the last part of the error
message is the important part: it wants you to provide a branch name,
to tell it which branch you're committing to.

it doesn't like committing to no-branch-in-particular. in theory it
could, this is just a sanity check, because it assumes that branchless
work is probably an error. in your case, it can't find a branch cert
for the "parent" (empty) manifest to infer your current branch name
from, so it complains.

try:

$ monotone --branch=classpath commit

hm.. looking at this, yuck. it's counterintuitive, and probably made
worse by the use of environment variables in the tutorial, making
people think they can just do "add" and "commit". I'm pretty happy
with the data structures and capabilities now, but the UI could
definitely use a bit more polish. it's not always exactly clear until
you first use it, which combination of options and arguments is most
intuitive. I agree though, as you've mentionned, that the working copy
really ought to have an explicit "current branch" value stashed in MT,
along with "current database".

(if you'd like to hack up support for that, the code to do that should
 be a copy+paste of the stuff which handles MT/work and MT/manifest,
 in commands.cc, plus some changes to argument processing in
 monotone.cc)

-graydon