Re: [Monotone-devel] another patch (no checkin)

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] another patch (no checkin)
Date: 11 Sep 2003 12:16:39 -0600

>>>>> "graydon" == graydon hoare <address@hidden> writes:

graydon> I am not enamoured with the idea of sub-command options,
graydon> though sense that perhaps they will eventually be
graydon> inevitable. I feel they lead to a lot of confusion about
graydon> where to specify them and which combinations are valid. on
graydon> the other hand, the same can be true of purely positional
graydon> grammars. so.. I'm not sure. really not sure.

I don't like positional arguments much, since sometimes I don't want
to provide one, or I forget the order, or whatever.  Plus, there's a
long tradition of non-positional arguments in unix.

Subversion decided that they didn't like the cvs-style arguments,
where "-f" means something different before and after the command
name.  Instead, options and command names can appear in any order.
This approach makes sense to me, we could easily adopt it.

graydon> can you save the files on either side of your example, and
graydon> send them as a testcase?

I've attached my test case.  I can't try it, since "make check"
currently fails to link for me.  I haven't looked into this yet.

Tom