Re: [Monotone-devel] current to-do items

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] current to-do items
Date: 12 Sep 2003 16:46:41 -0600

>>>>> "Nathaniel" == Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

I thought I replied to this already, but I don't see my message in my
monotone mailbox, so maybe I didn't...

>> 1 arg: monotone checkout <id>
>> checkout <id> in current directory

Nathaniel> This makes it awfully easy to get junk scattered all over
Nathaniel> the place if you forget to put a second argument.  Much
Nathaniel> better to not have this form at all, and let people who
Nathaniel> want this behaviour type a "." at the end.

I definitely agree.

Nathaniel> I generally agree with the guidelines and rationale at
Nathaniel> http://optik.sourceforge.net/tao.html ; what if we stick to those?

This looks pretty reasonable to me.  I didn't mean to come out in
favor of "no positional arguments ever".  I think my position is
closer to "most positional arguments must mean the same thing" --
"most" because, of course, the sub-command must be the first
positional argument.

Sometimes order matters for `-' arguments, e.g. when we're comparing
two file revisions.

Nathaniel> Oh, and I don't understand what you're saying about
Nathaniel> globbing at all :-)

I think he just means that "monotone commit *" (e.g.) is convenient,
so requiring "monotone commit --file=a --file=b --file=c" would be a
pain.

FWIW, I don't think the command-line UI is really a major weakness of
cvs.  By and large it seems to work ok, and I don't think it is a
major source of complaints.

Tom