Re: [Monotone-devel] Patch: RFC: adding MT/options

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Patch: RFC: adding MT/options
Date: 14 Sep 2003 01:10:42 -0400

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> I changed some of the sub-commands to explicitly write out the options
> file.  This seemed like the best approach; I tried it generically, but
> having MT/options be created in response to "monotone heads" or
> "monotone --help" is weird.

yeah, this is probably about right, if it acts weird we can change it
around a bit but we won't know until using it.

a few comments:

  - I think I would like to eliminate the use of the environment
    variable overrides altogether, if we're going to support option
    files.

  - it might be an idea to flag (as a bool in app_state) when a user
    explicitly specifies an option, and use that as a criterion for
    writing out the options file. I'd prefer to not (re)write it at
    all when there's no significant change to it. eg. if they have no
    write permission, might as well not try.

  - s/database_key/database_option/ or something. the word "key" already
    has a meaning in the source code.

otherwise it looks fine, assuming you tweak the testsuite to match.

-graydon