Re: [Monotone-devel] considering no merge-into-dir

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] considering no merge-into-dir
Date: 08 Oct 2003 18:02:04 -0600

graydon> I've been considering the suggestion (from IRC) of
graydon> "merge-into-dir".

One reason I've wanted merge-into-dir is related to the user
experience.  I'd like to be able to configure monotone to use merge3
to construct a tree with `<<<<<' (etc) markers, like cvs, that I can
then fix up and test at my leisure.  (That way I can use my existing
Emacs instance to edit the files, instead of starting a new one each
time.)

Without merge-into-dir, this isn't possible.  In fact, I'm constrained
to a one-off process, where an error on my part is not easily
undoable.

E.g., suppose I make an error halfway through the merge.  What are my
choices?  I can abort the merge -- undoing half the work.  I can
continue on, meaning I must make a note to go back and correct the
error later (and leaving a known-broken merge revision in the
meantime).

I suppose most merges will be automatic.  Too bad we can't figure out
ahead of time which ones are not -- these are the ones I'm most
concerned about.

If we could compute this easily, I suppose we could just have monotone
only ever present us with multiple heads when manual intervention is
required.

Finally, one other issue here is what to do when there are more than
two heads.

Tom