[Monotone-devel] Keyids and author names (was: Commit finally worked)

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Keyids and author names (was: Commit finally worked)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:41:14 -0800

graydon hoare wrote:
the author concept is only used for the "author" cert, which
subsequently is only used in the "log" command. nothing fancier than
that. if you think it's too many extra concepts, maybe we should just
squish author and key together into one concept.

I would favor defaulting author to the keyid, but still allowing a hook to override it. I chose my keyid expecting it to be my public monotone alias.

I will want a different author name for each branch, so I'll have to update the .monotonerc file frequently. Actually, I'll want it on a per-project basis, as opposed to a per-branch basis, but I haven't seen the concept of a project in monotone yet.

I could have different keys for each project I work on. If I specify a --key for a commit, I guess I would like that to be the default for that workspace. I don't know if monotone already does that or not.

Kevin