Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone & CVS import

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone & CVS import
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:36:26 -0800

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 19:40, graydon hoare wrote:
> that was more my point; as it turns out, I think linux (~2.4) is one
> of the better behaved unices and can handle a large swath of UTF-8
> characters in pathnames. other systems -- or older linuxes -- I don't
> know. I'll have to test. at some point we'll make a portability
> vs. feature tradeoff (VMS? Windows95?) but not before collecting some
> data about which systems can do what.

Pretty much all Unicies back to day one allow filenames to contain any
character except '/' and '\0'.  They're just treated as binary, so it
doesn't matter to the kernel what the encoding is.

Other operating systems have much more constrained filename rules
though.  And VMS's file naming rules are very complex and irregular.