Re: [Monotone-devel] File diff command-line UI thoughts

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] File diff command-line UI thoughts
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:05:23 -0800

graydon hoare wrote:
Kevin Smith <address@hidden> writes:
Other monotone commands require you to specify the type of the id,
such as "manifest" or "file". Which, by the way, I find slightly
irritating. Why can't it just figure out whether I have given it a
file's id or a manifest's id, and do the right thing?

because if I only write "a3f" there's actually a reasonable chance of
it completing differently as a file or a manifest. remember we accept
unambiguous SHA1 prefixes :(

I noticed that the docs claim that you can pass either a manifest id or a file id, but the code disagrees. Only a manifest id is accepted.

As long as the passed id-fragment unambiguously matches just one database object (a file OR a manifest), it seems reasonable to accept it. If it matches multiple, monotone would probably have to list each possible completions along with its type (manifest or file).

It's not a showstopper for me, but both in the code and as a user, it's not clear to me why manifests and files are in completely different worlds (namespaces).

Kevin