Re: [Monotone-devel] Error in function 9 during a post

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Error in function 9 during a post
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:22:54 -0800

graydon hoare wrote:
ah, don't worry about it, I'll be adding a patch shortly (next few
days) to chunk uploads.  it's necessary for other reasons anyways. I
was thinking of splitting them into, say, 64k blocks or something. enough to get a "pipelining win" on most connections, anyways. sound big enough? too big?

Sounds good. 64k seems like a reasonable size. If anything, I would go higher, not lower. We did xmlrpc chunking at work, and chose 100k for clients (who might be on dialup), and 1 meg for server-to-server. But we had higher overhead because each chunk was signed.

But monotone post data is already "chunked" into packets, so have you considered just posting each packet individually? Aside from the sheer simplicity that would bring to the code and design, it would also make it trivial to restart if the connection broke in the middle of the post.

An entire new tree of monotone only has a few hundred of these packets, so the transaction overhead for http doesn't seem that horrible to me. I'm not sure of the pros or cons of posting individual packets to mail or nntp, but finer granularity (and simplicity) seem pretty appealing.

Ah, but an individual large file add would still be huge, right? We could split individual large packets into chunks in that case.

Just thinking out loud,

Kevin