Re: [Monotone-devel] sketch of i18n specification

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] sketch of i18n specification
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:15:57 -0800

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:58:30AM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
> 2. file contents:
>
>   - files are subject to character set conversion if they have a
>     persistent attribute "charconv" set on them, with value "true".
>
>   - if a file has the persistent attribute "charset", its value will
>     be used instead of the LC_CTYPE locale setting.

That's kind of wierd.  If I always want a file to be in some
particular character set, why would I turn on character conversion in
the first place?

Is there any benefit to storing files in the repository with non-UTF8
encodings, but still allowing character conversion?  (I guess for
those people whose LC_CTYPEs matched the repository encoding, this
would make sha1sum work again.)

> 6. cert values:
>
>   - subject to character set and line ending conversion unless
>     overridden by a hook.

Err, so I can't put binary data in a cert?  What about test result
files and the like?

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen