Re: [Monotone-devel] Several questions

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Several questions
Date: 26 Nov 2003 13:25:52 -0500

Magnus Therning <address@hidden> writes:

> Correct me if I am wrong:
>
> That would only be true if the tar-ball was a complete copy of all the
> things in the depot. Since you get more files by checking out the
> depot than by downloading the tar-ball this wouldn't be a totally smooth
> road to take (for the person receiving your patch that is).

hmm.. yes, it appears "make distcheck" does massage the contents of
the tree nontrivially (building the testsuite and configure files,
making the .info files, etc) so perhaps we need a more "monotone
supported" snapshotting method, akin to

 awk '{print $2}' MT/manifest | xargs tar -czf snapshot.tar.gz

or the like. that's what I meant, but I guess "releases" are more
formalized notions for automake. oops.

(another possibility possibly worth exploring would be to teach
 automake enough about monotone that it packages MT/manifest during
 distcheck, and includes a rule for end users to "make the source tree
 assume the shape described by MT/manifest")

-graydon