Re: [Monotone-devel] compatibility woes

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] compatibility woes
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:52:28 +0100

graydon hoare schrieb:
     further. I will stop doing fully-static builds shortly, and move
     to mixed builds (keeping lib3rdparty.a, but dynamically linking
     to libc). I haven't decided how to handle the non-header parts of
     boost yet, but perhaps they can be folded into our sources.

Personally I prefer to use a shared library (boost in this case) once it is provided by the distribution (executable size on powerpc: shared 4MB, static 5MB (both stripped)). Though I see that once you ship binaries this is not a reasonable option for you.

It would be kind to design the configure system in a way which makes shared linking easily possible for the ones which care (--enable-shared ?)

     I have done this on my own tree and my own depot; if you are
     tracking monotone, the easiest thing to do is just delete your
     database and re-fetch from my depot.

>      I'm very sorry, this should not have happened; hopefully we're
>      still young and small enough that nobody got seriously burned.

I was not as shocked of an incompatible change as I was shocked of the advice to delete the database.

What are the downsides of an monotone fetch? Why isn't it enough in this case? This bothers me more.

if you have built your own
     depots

I got stuck at the 'space is not allowed in filenames' point during an CVS import. Count this mail as another vote for supporting it ;-)

    Christof