[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone ls unknown

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone ls unknown
Date: 16 Dec 2003 18:31:58 +0100

graydon hoare writes:

 > I've applied the following change to my depot. you can
 > fetch from there or apply this patch by hand.

Fetched, compiled, tested:

    $ ./monotone ls unknown
    adns/.deps/check.Po
    adns/.deps/event.Po
    adns/.deps/general.Po
    adns/.deps/parse.Po
    adns/.deps/poll.Po
    adns/.deps/query.Po
    adns/.deps/reply.Po
    adns/.deps/setup.Po
    adns/.deps/transmit.Po
    adns/.deps/types.Po
    adns/.deps/.dirstamp
    adns/.dirstamp
    adns/check.o
    adns/event.o
    adns/general.o
    adns/parse.o
    [...]

Works. Thanks a lot!

One minor change request: IMHO monotone should not include
_ignored_ files in the "ls unknown" output. Especially in
larger projects, doing so results in very large output,
making it difficult to spot the files that would need to be
added to the repository.

Oh, and it would be nice, if it were possible to configure
the files to-be-ignored on a per repository / per branch
basis. When programming in Haskell, for instance, I'm
ignoring entirely different things than when I'm writing C++
code, so different projects should really ignore different
file patterns.

Adding the branch name of the repository as a parameter to
the ignore_file() hook should suffice nicely. IMHO it were
even better, if the list of ignored files would be part of
the repository itself, like a .cvsignore file used to be.
Then, changes to this list could be version controlled,
rather than being specified in $HOME/.monotonerc, which is
not part of the project.

Peter