Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Support for binary files, scalability and Windo

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Support for binary files, scalability and Windows port
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:18:06 -0800

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 01:11:14AM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
> for a heavily edited file, it'll slowly get worse, but maybe you could
> have a "defragment" routine which builds some fresh blocks (especially
> if  a bunch of blocks appear with refcount=1; might as well toss them)

How does this interact with hash tree synchronization?  I.e., what
happens if I do
  $ monotone sync
  $ monotone db defrag
  $ monotone sync
?  Will this cause problems, since efficient hash tree synchronization
seems to depend on both sides using the same blocks?

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould