[Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone on Mac Os X

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone on Mac Os X
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:28:19 -0500

I'm also trying to get monotone to compile on OS X. I've made it past my libboost problems, but am having libpopt-related compile problems which I'm still investigating.

Here's what I did to get boost working (assuming you've got a working boost build environment (bjam, boost-build)):

1) Use boost-1.30, not 1.31. I think I read somewhere that the monotone tarball does not compile against 1.31. I used 1.30.2.

2) Use the bjam command line Graydon lists on http://www.venge.net/monotone/building.html. When the build completes you'll have a bunch of .a files.

Note: bjam complained about a few things and even failed with some sort of error, but the resulting library files seem to work ok.

3) Copy each of the release .a files into /usr/local/lib. These are hidden in deep directory structures like this:

boost-1.30/libs/test/build/bin/libboost_test_exec_monitor.a/gcc/release/runtime-link-static/libboost_test_exec_monitor.a

find . -name *.a is your friend :-)

4) Run ranlib /usr/local/lib/libboost*.a. I had multiple link errors until I did this.

5) Now you can run monotone's configure again. Set the LDFLAGS env variable to include /usr/local/lib like this:

export LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib\ -L/sw/lib

That seems to be the magic incantation that got me past my boost-induced woes.

--Kevin