[Monotone-devel] Monotone server problems

From: Jon Bright
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Monotone server problems
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:09:21 +0200

I've been playing around with setting up a monotone netsync server of my own (using the monotone-0.11 deb) and have encountered a few problems:

1. Somebody's mentioned it before on the list, but: empty passphrases. Monotone doesn't seem to like them, which makes unattended operation for the server a little tricky...

2. Removing keys from the DB doesn't seem to be possible directly - I resorted to running the appropriate SQL via the debug command, but this doesn't seem optimal. Additionally, when importing a key with an ID that's already in the database, the old key is left alone (probably correctly) but no warning is printed to the effect that there's already a key by that name...

3. On the server, I took the following steps:

a) monotone --db=... db init
b) monotone --db=... genkey address@hidden
c) monotone --db=... --branch=com.sc.project cvs_import /path/to/repo
d) <key importing/exporting stuff>, <setup of permissions to allow my client key to pull*> e) monotone --db=... --rcfile=permissions.lua serve host.siliconcircus.com com.siliconcircus.project

* side note - the docs don't surround the addresses with quotes, but this wouldn't work for me until I'd added quotes...

On the client:
a) monotone --db=... db init
b) monotone --db=... genkey address@hidden
c) <key importing/exporting stuff, synchronised with stage d on the server side>
d) monotone --db=... pull host.siliconcircus.com com.siliconcircus.project

This went ok (albeit with a lot of debug output), until:

-----------------------------
processing 411096 byte input buffer from peer host.siliconcircus.com
netio.hh:31: invariant 'I(pos < str.size())' violated
db.execute("ROLLBACK")

*** Error: std::logic_error: netio.hh:31: invariant 'I(pos < str.size())' violated

**** error return code 205
-----------------------------

e) Ran the same command again (without changing anything, so using the same db), got:

-----------------------------
monotone: read from fd 5 (peer host.siliconcircus.com) closed OK after goodbye
-----------------------------

f) monotone --branch=com.siliconcircus.project checkout project-source

This produced:

monotone: fetching heads of branch 'com.siliconcircus.project'
monotone: misuse: no file version faa94569b127838245641b4025add6ccb97c6cea found in database for .cvsignore

After this, I was left with directory 'project-source', which contained the MT directory, which in turn contained a manifest, which contained hashes for all files in the project.

4. The CVS import should import files within the Attic directories in an already-deleted state. But you probably know this already, and it's not a big deal...

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.