[Monotone-devel] initial questions

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: [Monotone-devel] initial questions
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:01:16 -0700

Ok, I've read the docs and I'm definitely intrigued, but I do have some
questions.

- With the MT/ directory at the root of my project is the intent that all
monotone
commands must be executed from there (the project root)?

- Is there any way to limit how deep into my tree monotone add goes? --depth=1
for
example? this seems like something that might be a bit awkward, having never
really used
it on anything but a tiny test project.

- Currently checkout simply clobbers any files that are in the way, and I'm
wondering if
instead it might just leave them as they are rather than doing something
potentially
destructive. cvs and subversion simply stop in this case which also seems
rather drastic
but on the other end of the spectrum. Presumably the status command would then
see these
files as having changed if their hashes differ and the revert command would get
things
back into a clean state if I need to. I've had a very quick look at the source,
and my c++
is more than a bit rusty, but I'm attempting to hack this behaviour in just for
fun since
it looks very easy. I've been looking at doing the same thing in subversion
recently and
so far it seems really involved, in comparison with monotone the relative level
of
difficulty appears to be orders of magnitude higher. I looked at it once with
cvs too but
powered out before I got anywhere. If it works here I'll be obligated to switch!

- Another thought I've had recently about the .cvs, .svn, MT type of
directories is that
they might be handled better by a file in my home dir (say in a ~/.monotone/
directory)
that has a  listing of filesystem paths or path prefixes and associating them
with (in
this case) the proper MT dir that may also live in a ~/.monotone directory or
somewhere.
this might answer my first question about where to execute monotone commands
from, in that
if a lookup by path prefix was done, I could do them from anywhere in the
project.

Thanks for any info!
Derek

Derek
Derek Scherger                         Echologic Software Corporation
phone: 403.606.0459                            Bankers Hall RPO 22051
fax:   403.243.5400                      Calgary, AB, Canada  T2P 4J1
mailto:address@hidden                   http://www.echologic.com