Re: [Monotone-devel] Asking for passphrase early

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Asking for passphrase early
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 18:12:17 -0700

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 09:42:00PM -0300, Andre Nathan wrote:
> Would it be possible that on the ``commit'' command, the passphrase is
> asked before the editor for the commit log shows up? The problem is that I
> happen to type the wrong password too often, and it seems to always happen
> after typing the longest commit logs :)

I think the idea was to minimize the amount of time that the
passphrase has to be in memory, since it's somewhat vulnerable to
attack during that period.  Alternate idea: what if on a failed
commit, if the commit log has already been entered, it gets dumped in
/tmp/ or MT/ or somesuch?  Would that fix your problem just as well?
(You're right, this has happened to me a few times too, and it's very
annoying... does monotone even give you 2-3 tries if you get it
wrong?)

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling