Re: [Monotone-devel] heads (was: current CVS import status)

From: Joel Rosdahl
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] heads (was: current CVS import status)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:44:27 +0200

Christof Petig <address@hidden> writes:

> PS: I will take a look at address@hidden's fixes and most likely
> authorize them. Then we'll nicely see how well monotone handles real
> distributed parralel development.

I'm not sure that my fix is correct, though. My mental model yesterday
of the disapproval mechanism was something like "I don't like version
x (for whatever reason) ==> I'll add a disapproval cert on x", which
seems to be in line with Graydon's comment that it should work to
disapprove of a head manifest to make it "no longer active". But now
when I've slept on it, I don't think my understanding is correct. One
thing that indicates that my fix is bad is that it ignores the value
of the disapproval cert (any value will prevent the manifest from
appearing as a head), while the disapprove command and the
documentation clearly indicate that disapproval is about the ancestor
edge between two manifests/files.

And the behaviour of get_branch_heads before my change makes perfect
sense; disapproval of an ancestor edge makes the ancestor a head since
it no longer has a descendant. Disapproval may make heads appear, but
not disappear.

So: Assuming that I've grasped the concept, how do you get rid of the
heads that you don't want to see, like bad commits? It feels like a
basic operation is missing.

        Regards,
        Joel

--
Joel Rosdahl <address@hidden>
Key BB845E97; fingerprint 9F4B D780 6EF4 5700 778D  8B22 0064 F9FF BB84 5E97