Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: current multiple heads (was Re: write access to

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: current multiple heads (was Re: write access to my public server)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:10:25 -0400

Jon Bright wrote:

Are these cryptographically random bits? If so, using that many random bits does sound like a bit of a recipe for draining the machine's entropy pool (particularly on unattended remote machines that don't have the advantage of keyboard/mouse input).

well, an unattented machine isn't likely to run "monotone bump" or such; it's really only a special case for users to "break cycles" when they would otherwise form. I doubt it will be common.

Would generating a GUID perhaps be easier? It'd certainly be less entropy-hungry. And there's lots of pre-existing stuff about for dealing with GUIDs...

perhaps. I guess I just have more confidence in general improbability than I do in "global uniqueness". but that's all it's serving as, yes.

-graydon