Re: [Monotone-devel] PostgreSQL support

From: joel reed
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] PostgreSQL support
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:30:56 -0400

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 01:11:38AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:51:57PM -0400, joel reed wrote:
> > I've been working a bit on getting monotone to work on with a PostgreSQL
> > backend. the database.{cc,hh} part doesn't look too hard at least.
> >
> > how interested is everyone in PostgreSQL support? don't want to work
> > too much on this if there's only marginal interest.
>
> Maybe you could say something about what the motivation would be?  I'm
> not saying it's bad, just no obvious advantages jump out at me, so I'm
> curious what advantages you perceive.

i had 3 reasons.

1) much more familiarity and comfort with PostgreSQL than SQLite,
regarding tools, drivers, scalability, etc.

2) the customized SQLite page size seemed to make mono's SQLite driver
barf, which made me concerned about interoperability with other SQLite
drivers, like SQLiteODBC.

3) i was intrigued by the possibilites of exposing a single
PostgreSQL repository to multiple monotone clients, rather than exposing
a monotone server.

jr