[Monotone-devel] Re: Changing a pass-phrase

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Changing a pass-phrase
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 10:19:30 -0400

Peter Simons wrote:
Is there any way to change the pass-phrase of an already
generated key?

there is no command to do so, but in theory it is easy to add. the key is not "intrinsically bound" to the passphrase or anything; the passphrase is just used to key a symmetric storage cipher (ARC4), to prevent someone acquiring your database file from having "real" access to your private key.

in any case, I have filed a bug. this would be a good new command, I agree.

-graydon