Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Normal usage scenario resulted in headless bran

From: Eric Meyer
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Normal usage scenario resulted in headless branch. Is it a bug or did I do something wrong?
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 23:59:35 -0400 (EDT)

>it happened because we are doing content addressing rather than
>historical context addressing (this will be fixed in the near future,
>say a couple months) and you managed to arrive at the same content
>before *and after* some sequence of changes. that caused a "loop in
>time", and monotone's code for such situations is far from good.
>
>it isn't intrinsically related to the propagation from a vendor branch,
>that was just a coincidental cause. it could just as easily have
>happened from a different action.

Thank you. To clarify, and to verify my understanding. The content of the
head of the vendor branch (org.bitfluxeditor.bxeng) is identical to the
post-propagated head of the development branch (com.quoininc.bxeng).
Therefore they hash to the same value, and a circular history graph was
created.

Regards,
Eric