Re: [Monotone-devel] beginner questions

From: Adam Logghe
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] beginner questions
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:10:42 -0700

While sha-1 hashes may look a bit intimidating, in actually using them
in their short form I don't mind them a bit. I would see the addition of
"fake" version numbers to be a nuisance and likely to me much more
confusing when it counted (when you are trying to work out conflicts in
tree states).

For usability, perhaps you might try to use "selectors" (Section 4.1)? I
find these to be a very nice feature that I turn to frequently...

As some examples from the manual-

address@hidden/2004-04
    Versions written by address@hidden in April 2004.

'address@hidden/2 weeks ago'
    Versions written by address@hidden 2 weeks ago.

graydon/net.venge.monotone.win32/yesterday
    Versions in the net.venge.monotone.win32 branch, written by graydon,
yesterday.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the precision of sha-1 combined with the
fuzziness of selectors.

Adam