Re: [Monotone-devel] A better name for "context"

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A better name for "context"
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:01:43 -0600

Here's my $.02...

So far I think I prefer context from all of the proposals, but I also don't think that it is completely ideal either. My understanding is that a context represents not only a state (i.e. a node in the graph) but also the state transition (what happened to get to that node in the graph) plus the node or nodes that the state transition was from. It seems as thought there is some (but less) information about the entire path through the graph to get to that state as well, encoded in the parent context hashes.

If there is only one parent this seems like a line segment (starting point, transition, end point) but I don't particularly like "segment" all that much.

I'm also thinking about this as though it represents a map through the various development versions and perhaps each segment represents a "path". Along the same lines perhaps what's represented is a "location" but this seems not to capture the transition piece of the puzzle. Path actually does seem to be a reasonable representation, but is probably overused.

After reading some of the discussion on this on #monotone I'm back to thinking "revision" is the right word... but the word version should then not appear *anywhere* and all current references to versions in the docs should be to either id's or hashes (pick one) which I think would be an improvement anyway.

Derek