Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone win32 crlf questions

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone win32 crlf questions
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:34:00 -0600

Jon Bright wrote:
Assuming you're using the monotone distributed by Graydon, and assuming Graydon compiled that using MinGW as per my original porting instructions, using it under Cygwin may be the problem (though don't quote me on this). I seem to recall there being some conflict between Cygwin stuff and MinGW stuff. Does the same thing happen if you do the diff in a normal windows console?

The first assumption is true... who knows what graydon did though. ;)
I'll give it a try under the windows command shell when I get back to work on Monday and see what happens.

The differences in normalisation are actually the reason for about half the self-tests failing on Windows. This is something I've been meaning to look into, but haven't got to yet...

I guess my initial expectation on this was that it would do something like cvs (or is it wincvs?) does... if you're checking in from a windows client to a unix server I think it converts the line endings to \n and when checking out does the reverse translation. However I'm wondering if this is even possible given that hashes presumably need to agree when/if a file has changed and introducing line ending conversion would appear to mess this up. I'm probably just missing something here though, and hopefully this is all accounted for. It's certainly a nice thing to have when people are working on various different platforms.

Derek