[Monotone-devel] Re: interpretation of collection names

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: interpretation of collection names
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:57:52 -0400

On 29 Sep 2004 13:34:28 +0200, Peter Simons <address@hidden> wrote:

But it's a convention that might be difficult do adhere to
with that feature in place. Say, I own the domain "org.con",
you own "org.contrived". So either I call my collection
"org.con." or I end up having all your data in it, too! That
doesn't sound good, IMHO.

no, I agree, it's a bug. collections themselves are probably
a bug.

P. S.: While I am at it ... there was talk about getting rid
of collections entirely and allowing branches to be selected
for synchronization directly. Is there any plan as for when
this change will happen?

I'd like this change to happen, but it'll be a little while in
coming. it's not actually very invasive if you want to look
into it yourself. there are a number of pending fixups to
netsync: symmetric encryption, adjustment of where and when the
tries are rebuilt, better reporting, dropping collections in
favour of branch globs, etc.

but all this, on my list, comes after finishing the changeset
branch, fixing up cr/lf issues on win32, and integrating the
ssh and restriction branches.

-graydon