[Monotone-devel] Re: deleting branches, keys, etc.

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: deleting branches, keys, etc.
Date: 03 Oct 2004 19:25:42 +0200

Henrik Holmboe writes:

 > I tend to think that is what filesystem backup/restore is
 > for.

You don't necessarily backup your databases with the
granularity to undo _specific_ changes. Having a database
that's just 24 hours probably won't be good enough. I don't
think backups help solving this problem.

 > This is a version control system, and IMO it should take
 > care of versions of your commits. If you mess up, there
 > is always the possiblity to reverse the changes in the
 > source, but still increment the version.

There are cases where data *has* to be removed from the
database. You might have accidently committed files that you
weren't licensed to use, you may have accidently committed
your 3 terabyte worth of downloaded MP3s, whatever. Things
like that happen, and Monotone should be able to handle it
gracefully, IMHO.

I am greatly in favor of adding these commands, and I'll use
them more frequently than I would like to. :-)

Peter