Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit without working copy

From: Nathan Myers
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit without working copy
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:20:17 -0800

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:24:43PM +0800, Grzegorz Jakacki wrote:
> I would like a webserver to checkout/checkin files from/to monotone
> database without actually creating a working copy. Is that possible with
> current CLI? If not, then how much work it is to add it and where should
> I begin?

The "packet" commands still work.  If you can deliver packets
extracted from the client database to your web server, it can add
them.  Presumably it would also need to extract packets from its
database and deliver them to the client to be added, which you might
do with a browser protocol handler.  I don't know what else the web
server end would need to do, besides occasional pruning.  The only
tricky part seems to be discovering what packets to extract and send,
something that I guess netsync negotiates.

I might be terminally confused, though.

I'm assuming you can't open a port for netsync, and must work through
port 80; and port 80 is already in use by a web server, so you can't
just make netsync use it directly; and you also can't (for whatever
reason) set up an ssh tunnel.  Each of these alternatives seems easier,
normally.

Nathan Myers
address@hidden