Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit without working copy

From: Grzegorz Jakacki
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit without working copy
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:31:59 +0800

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 10:24:43PM +0800, Grzegorz Jakacki wrote:

Hello,

I would like a webserver to checkout/checkin files from/to monotone database without actually creating a working copy. Is that possible with current CLI? If not, then how much work it is to add it and where should I begin?

It doesn't make a lot of sense with Monotone, since checkin/checkout
always apply to the whole working copy, not to individual files.

If you use monotone to store source code, then perhaps yes.

(With the .restrictions branch, this becomes some virtual working copy
with some changes masked out, but this doesn't change things
conceptually --- conceptually, we always commit a complete snapshot.)

OK. Assume my repo has just one file.

So what you're asking for seems to be of very limited utility,

Not to me.

> and
semantically weird --- neither really good bets for getting it folded
in upstream, at least at first blush :-)

I am not asking anybody to ask a feature. I am asking how difficult it is to add it and where should I look first if I wanted to add it.

What are you really trying to do?

I am trying to prototype distributed Wiki system. A peer of such system is a repo and webserver. PHP interpreter working on the webserver checkouts webpage from the repo and serves it to the webclient. If user edits the page, php script commits the page back to the repo and merges. From time to time state of repos is propagated among peers and merged wherever possible.

AFAIU from reading docs it is doable with monotone. I just wanted to know if there is a way to commit/checkout directly to/from the webclient (via webserver running, say, PHP).

Thanks
Grzegorz