Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux

From: Joel Reed
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: user-friendly hash formats, redux
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 22:21:27 -0500

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 10:20:13PM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:

snip

> The reason this keeps coming up is that the hex codes are probably the
> most immediately intimidating thing about Monotone.  Those terrifying
> blocks of hex codes probably keep more people away from Monotone than
> any sort of unfamiliarity with its concepts, or any lack of features.

i've been following monotone's progress since about version 0.12, and think
it has great potential and a very reasonable, skilled "benevolent dictator".

everytime, someone on the list brings up the sha1 hex codes i get excited
that maybe this time they'll get scrapped for revision ids of some sort
that would make everyone happy.

as Nathan suggests above - I have personally hesitated telling others
to take a look at monotone primarily because i fear the hashes will
look intimidating to them.

throwing my 2 cents in and hoping some solution can be found,
jr